I was commissioned by 7 Labatt Avenue, in Toronto, to produce two renderings of the building to use on their website and in building-lease marketing materials. The company I work for, SevenL Networks, is in this building.
The building had a requirement for me to produce the renderings as quickly as possible but on a very tight budget (just $2,000) so these produced over a one-week period a few weeks ago.
I wish that I was given a bit more time so that I could have touched it up a lot better, but they told me that it was more than sufficient for their needs, and the customer is always right.
Backplate photographs were taken from the top of the building and dropped into the background of the final rendered image to give it a bit of realism and give context to the building in relation to it’s immediate surroundings and the downtown core of Toronto.
I will most likely be turning these two renderings into a “howto” tutorial over the coming weeks, so keep this site in your browser and refresh often!
The Uptown Residences is a 48 storey residential condominium tower currently proposed in Toronto, Canada near the intersections of Yonge & Bloor at 35 Balmuto Street. During the proposal process, the building was initially referred to as 746 Yonge Street.
I produced this rendering with the assistance of the architectural elevations that were supplied by the developer to the City of Toronto, which become public documents. Artistic license was used in the colouring of the building and glass. The rendered condo is the tall thin building towards the left in this image.
This is an unofficial rendering as I model it in 3D and rendered it out of personal interest.
The company that I started up back in 2003, and still work for on a full time basis (SevenL Networks Inc), was in need of a data center layout overhall for our servers. Originally we had our servers located on vertical telco racks but as time went on and we grew we realized the original layout wasn’t very efficient. Pulling out servers for part replacements or upgrades was a two person job and the airflow wasn’t very good. As a result, we spent more time than we generally needed to in order to do small tasks and some servers were running too hot. In addition, the previous layout resulted in a poorly set up system for electrical power whereby we were sitting right at the edge of the power supply’s capacity. A rework was needed.
I began working on a new layout for racks in which our servers could reside that would eliminate all the problems mentioned above and these two images are the final results. Now, the servers can easily be taken down and put back in, there’s enough space between them for good airflow and the bottom racks allow the cooled air from our HVAC system to filter up through all the servers more efficiently. In addition, network cabling is easy to deal with and power is no longer an issue. All in all, our new setup is significantly more efficient than the previous layout. 3D modelling to the rescue!